Summerville, South Carolina
The town of Dorchester, SC was settled in the late 1600s by followers of the puritan pastor, Joseph Lord (originally from England) of Dorchester, Massachusetts. The town thrived for many years until 1720 when Reverend Lord returned home to Massachusetts. Soon after his departure, the town’s people suffered from a rising population, disease and suffering from the unfamiliar hot climate. In 1751, the town was abandoned but the ruins of the Meeting House, St. George’s Anglican Church and Cemetery, and Fort still remain to this day.